I definitely believe that the outdoors is for everyone, but unfortunately one of the barriers to getting outside is often the shear amount of gear that’s involved. And of course, that gear doesn’t come cheap! One of my tried and true tips for getting deals on hiking and backpacking gear is to wait for sales. So of course in the run-up to the holidays, I’m always watching the Boxing Day sales to see if there are good deals on hiking and backpacking gear. This year I’ve complied all the Black Friday and Boxing Day deals for hikers together into one giant post so you can view them all at a glance. I’ve also provided my picks for the best gear from each of the sales and some tips on how to make sure it is really is a good deal.
This page was updated with the latest deals on December 2, 2020
Hey there: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. Thanks for supporting my website. -Taryn
When are the Sales?
In 2020 Black Friday is on Friday November 27th. Look for lots of sales to start the week before and continue through the weekend. (Black Friday is now turning into Black Friday Week and Black Friday Weekend!)
Cyber Monday happens on the Monday immediately after Black Friday. In 2020, Cyber Monday is on Monday November 30th.
Many outdoor retailers will also have Boxing Day sales on hiking and backpacking gear. In 2020, Boxing Day is on Saturday December 26th.
Lots of outdoor brands also have general holiday sales throughout December. I’ve got details on those below too.
Here’s my running list of all the Black Friday, Boxing Day, and holiday sales on hiking and backpacking gear that I know about. I’ll keep them updated every day during the holiday shopping season. If you hear of other great deals, let me know in the comments and I’ll add them.
Holiday Deals (on now)
- Up to 45% off sports and outdoors gear
- Includes up to 29% off select Garmin watches
Holiday Deals (on now)
- Up to 40% off sports and outdoors gear
- Includes up to 30% off Coleman products
Apres Cyber Sale (December 1-8)
- Save up to 40% on select items
Black Friday Week (on now)
- 25% off sitewide
- includes headlamps and their best-selling camp stove
Save up to 25% on select Equipment (on now)
- Includes backpacks, climbing gear, headlamps, tents, and my favourite trekking poles
Save on Ski + Binding Bundles (on now)
- Save an Extra 25% when you purchase skis and bindings together
Apparel Sale (On now)
- Save 25% on select apparel
- Use code EXTRA25
Outlet Sale (November 30-December 10)
- Save up to 25% Off Sale Items in the Black Diamond Outlet
Cairn Subscription Box
Get One, Gift One (November 16-December 31)
- When you subscribe to Monthly Cairn you’ll receive a FREE GIFT MONTH to send to someone you care about
- Use promo code GOGO
- Get up to $50 worth of outdoor goods in each collection
Holiday Sale (November 20-December 4)
- Save 25% off all bottles. Use code HOLIDAY25
- Includes the Podium Insulated Bike bottle, which is my favourite bike-style water bottle
25% off Outlet (December 1-3)
- 25% off the Outlet. Use code OUTLET25
12 Days of Deals (November 26-December 7)
- A different deal each day on best selling products like Black Diamond Cosmo headlamp and Klymit Static sleeping pads
Cyber Week (December 1-7)
- Save up to 80% on featured gear and apparel
- Exclusive deals on gear from Petzl, Katadyn, CamelBak and many other high-end brands. Up to 70% off
20-30% off big brands (on now)
- 20% off Fjallraven,
- 25% off Arc’teryx, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardwear, Outdoor Research, and RAB
- 30% off Mammut
Holiday Deals (December 2-25)
- Up to 50% off selected styles
Eastern Mountain Sports
Cyber Monday (November 30-December 5)
- Save Up to 80% on Outdoor Gear and Apparel
- Save 40 – 80% on Men’s Jackets
- Get 40% Off The North Face Trail Escape Running Shoes
- Get 40 – 60% Off ALL Columbia Clothing
Black Friday Sale (November 25-December 6)
- 25% off site wide
- Free Shipping $30+!
- Includes the 18 oz. standard mouth insulated bottle. It’s my go-to everyday water bottle and keeps my water cold for hours.
20% Off Sale (December 1-31)
- 20% off orders over $100
- Use code 20PercentKEEN2020
- Not valid on utility products
Thanksgiving Sale (on now)
- 30-70% of all apparel. Use code GIVETHANKS20
- Free shipping for US Orders over $150
Holiday offers (November 10-December 25)
- Save 50% on custom engraving (makes an amazing gift)
- Free Crater Pocket Knife with purchase of $139 or more
- Free Croc with purchase of $35 or more
- Free shipping on orders $75 and over
Last Chance Deals (on now)
- Up to 60% off select styles
Black Friday Sale (November 27-December 6)
- Get a Free $20 Almost Gift Card with Any Full price Item Over $99 using code FREEMONEY202
70% off Sale (November 30-December 13)
- 70% off selected products
- Use code MHWDEC70
Cyber Week (November 28-December 7)
- Save up to 50% off select items
- Save an Extra 25% off one REI Outlet item with coupon code EXTRA25
- 30% Off Mountain Hardwear Ghost Shadow Jackets & Vests
- 25% Off All La Sportiva Hike & Running Footwear
- 40% Off All REI Co-op Base layers for Women, Men & Kids
- 30% Off Smartwool Intraknit Baselayer for Women & Men
- 25% Off All Hydro Flask Products
- 25% Off All Arc’teryx Products
- 30% Off Selected The North Face Clothing for Women, Men & Kids
- 30% Off All Icebreaker Baselayer & Underwear for Women & Men
- 25% Off All NEMO Sleeping Bags and Pads
- 30% Off All prAna Clothing
- 30% Off All ExOfficio Clothing
10% Off Salomon Outlet (November 5-December 31)
- Use Code TIMETOPLAY10 for 10% off anything in the Salomon outlet
- Free shipping included
Steep and Cheap
Winter Bestsellers Sale (December 2-3)
- Save up to 80% Off Best-Sellers
- Save up to 55% off past season styles from Patagonia and Arc’teryx
- Save up to 60% off past season styles from The North Face
- Save up to 60% off Columbia
Spend $200, Save $40 (December 3)
- Use Code DECSAVE40
Cyber Sale (November 30-December 7)
- 25% off site wide
Toad & Co.
Take an additional 20% off sale items (November 10-December 31)
- Use Code JOYFUL
- Includes organic cotton summer dresses and my favourite recycled wool sweaters
40% Off Classic UST items (November 22-December 26)
- 40% off classic UST items like compasses and lanterns
- Free shipping on orders over $30
30% off New UST items (November 30-December 10, December 25-26)
- 30% off new UST items like sleeping bags, sleeping pads, and tents
- Free shipping on orders over $30
What Gear is on Sale?
There are two main types of products offered at a discount for Black Friday and Boxing Day: stuff that is discontinued and stuff that’s marked down just for the holidays.
Most of the hiking gear that is on sale is usually colors or styles that will be discontinued next year. Retailers want to clear this stuff out so they’ll have room for next year’s stuff. In November and December you will usually find the dregs of last summer’s gear on deep discounts. You might also find winter gear like jackets on sale. Typically winter gear goes on sale this early if the retailer bought too much and they aren’t selling that well. The main things you’ll find in this category are clothing and footwear since they change every year.
The other type is just regular priced product that is selling just fine, but the retailer decides to mark-it down for a limited time to bring in extra sales. The retailer is making less profits on these products but they hope that you’ll buy more stuff and boost their overall sales. Tents, backpacks, stoves, headlamps and other non-clothing gear is what you’ll find in this category. Since this kind of gear rarely goes on sale otherwise, Black Friday and Boxing Day are the best time to find deals on hiking and backpacking gear.
How to Make Sure You’re Getting a Good Deal
Just because it’s on sale, doesn’t mean it’s a good deal. Be sure to do your research before you buy. Make sure the gear you buy is the right size and works for your style of hiking or backpacking. Be sure to read reviews. Make sure you buy from companies with good return policies.
Some retailers will offer seemingly insane deals on gear from brands you’ve never heard of. Do your research. These are often knock-off brands that sell things super-cheap anyway. The best Black Friday deals are on brand name gear that doesn’t usually go on sale otherwise. Save your money for the deals that are actually good – not the ones that just LOOK good.
- The Best Eco-friendly Gifts for Hikers
- 25 Stocking Stuffers for Hikers Under $25 (That are Totally Useful)
- 17 Ways to Save Money on Hiking Gear
- Which Women’s Hiking Gear is Actually Worth Buying?
- Women’s Hiking Gear to Fit Your Body Type: Recommendations From Female Hikers