Hi, I’m Taryn!
My home is in Vancouver but my heart is in the mountains. I share advice, info and inspiration about my happy place: The Great Outdoors.
My Dad took me hiking and mountain biking often when I was a kid, but it wasn’t until my first backpacking trip on the West Coast trail in 2004 that I really fell in love with the backcountry. Since then, I’ve spent as much time outside as possible hiking, backpacking, camping, snowshoeing, biking, paddling and exploring. You can often find me on the trails of Vancouver’s North Shore on weeknights, and somewhere in the backcountry of Southwestern B.C. on weekends.
I’m passionate about discovering new places, revisiting favourite trails, taking photos, and planning trips. Oh and gear… I love outdoor gear! I also like to help others learn about how to enjoy the outdoors responsibilities, which is why I got certified as a Leave No Trace Trainer in 2006. I teach totally free Leave No Trace Awareness Workshops and post LNT tips on Instagram each Tuesday as part of the #LeaveNoTraceTuesday hashtag movement I started.
I’d like to share my love for the outdoors with you and I hope it makes you as happy as it’s made me. Follow along for stories of my human powered adventures, gear reviews, outdoor advice and more.
Where I’ve Been:
Check out my Backpacking Trips List for the complete list of everywhere I’ve ever slept in a tent (or a hut).
Find My Work Elsewhere Online:
- Hiking the Wild West Coast: Perspectives from the Nootka Trail and the Wildside Trail for Destination BC’s Notes from the Wild microsite
- Leave No Trace: Keeping the Wilderness Wild for Rad Girls Collective
- 5 Tips for Hiking the Rain for Bearfoot Theory
- Leave No Trace on Your Next Hike for Vancouver Trails
- “Guest-grammer” for BC Park’s Instagram account with a Leave No Trace education focus.
- You Killed a Bear for Huffington Post Canada
- Careless Camping Endangers Bears for CBC’s The 180
- Appearing on BC’s Global News to comment on bear safety
- What to Bring on a Day Hike for Vancouver Trails
- Leave No Trace: Correcting Common Beliefs in the Wild for Outdoor Women’s Alliance
Want to get in touch? Email me: happiestoutdoorsblog [at] gmail [dot] com