I definitely believe that the outdoors is for everyone, but unfortunately one of the barriers to getting outside is often the shear amount of gear that’s involved. And of course, that gear doesn’t come cheap! One of my tried and true tips for getting deals on hiking and backpacking gear is to wait for sales. So of course in the run-up to the holidays, I’m always watching the Boxing Day sales to see if there are good deals on hiking and backpacking gear. This year I’ve complied all the Boxing Day deals for hikers together into one giant post so you can view them all at a glance. I’ve also provided my picks for the best gear from each of the sales and some tips on how to make sure it is really is a good deal.
This page was updated with the latest deals on December 26, 2019
Hey there: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. Thanks for supporting my website. -Taryn
When are the Sales?
In 2019 Black Friday is on Friday November 29th. Look for lots of sales to start the week before and continue through the weekend. (Black Friday is now turning into Black Friday Week and Black Friday Weekend!) Cyber Monday happens on the Monday immediately after Black Friday. In 2019 Cyber Monday is on Monday December 2nd.
Many outdoor retailers will also have Boxing Day sales on hiking and backpacking gear. In 2019 Boxing Day is on Thursday December 26th.
Here’s my running list of all the Boxing Day sales on hiking and backpacking gear that I know about. I’ll keep them updated every day during the holiday shopping season. If you hear of other great deals, let me know in the comments and I’ll add them.
- Year End Deals on sports gear like Fitbits, jackets, knives, and headlamps (December 25-31)
- Holiday Clearance Sale: Shop & Save up to 50% off tons of best-sellers. Ends January 3.
- New Decade, New Deal: Save up to 50% off the New Year Sale (Ends January 7)
- Save up to 50% at Cabela’s Biggest Annual Clearance Sale
- 25% off vacuum insulated stainless steel bottles & travel mugs. Ends December 26. Shop now.
- Winter Sale: Up to 30% off Select Styles (December 26-January 5)
- 25% Off Almost Everything and 50% Off Door Crashers! December 26 only
Eastern Mountain Sports
- Take an ADDITIONAL 50% Off All Blue Dot Clearance Items, Use Code: “OUTLET” (December 26-January 7)
- Take $10 or 10% off your next order from KEEN with promo code DECEMBER10DOLLARS (December 1-31)
- Go big or go home: Spend $500-999, get $100 off or spend $1000, get $300 off your *entire* order! Use promo code BigDeal2019 (December 1-31)
- Take 20% off your entire order (December 26-31)
- Moosejaw Winter Sale – Up to 40% Off Jackets, Footwear & more from our best brands (December 26-January 12)
- 65% off Original Price on Select Items with code MHW65OFF. Ends December 31
- End of Season Sale: 40% off select styles (December 26-January 20)
- 70% Off PJs and Blankets with code HOLIDAY70
- Year End Clearance – Save up to 50% on Categories: Men’s Clothing, Women’s Clothing, Footwear, Camp/Hike
Sea to Summit
- Holiday Sale: Save 30% off select items (Ends December 31st)
Steep and Cheap
- save up to 60% Off on Keen, Sorel, and Salomon (December 26-29)
- A Gift For You! Get $20 Off Purchases Of $75+ (December 26-30)
What Gear is on Sale?
There are two main types of products offered at a discount for Black Friday and Boxing Day: stuff that is discontinued and stuff that’s marked down just for the holidays.
Most of the hiking gear that is on sale is usually colors or styles that will be discontinued next year. Retailers want to clear this stuff out so they’ll have room for next year’s stuff. In November and December you will usually find the dregs of last summer’s gear on deep discounts. You might also find winter gear like jackets on sale. Typically winter gear goes on sale this early if the retailer bought too much and they aren’t selling that well. The main things you’ll find in this category are clothing and footwear since they change every year.
The other type is just regular priced product that is selling just fine, but the retailer decides to mark-it down for a limited time to bring in extra sales. The retailer is making less profits on these products but they hope that you’ll buy more stuff and boost their overall sales. Tents, backpacks, stoves, headlamps and other non-clothing gear is what you’ll find in this category. Since this kind of gear rarely goes on sale otherwise, Black Friday and Boxing Day are the best time to find deals on hiking and backpacking gear.
How to Make Sure You’re Getting a Good Deal
Just because it’s on sale, doesn’t mean it’s a good deal. Be sure to do your research before you buy. Make sure the gear you buy is the right size and works for your style of hiking or backpacking. Be sure to read reviews. Make sure you buy from companies with good return policies.
Some retailers will offer seemingly insane deals on gear from brands you’ve never heard of. Do your research. These are often knock-off brands that sell things super-cheap anyway. The best Black Friday deals are on brand name gear that doesn’t usually go on sale otherwise. Save your money for the deals that are actually good – not the ones that just LOOK good.
- The Best Eco-friendly Gifts for Hikers
- 25 Stocking Stuffers for Hikers Under $25 (That are Totally Useful)
- 17 Ways to Save Money on Hiking Gear
- Which Women’s Hiking Gear is Actually Worth Buying?
- Women’s Hiking Gear to Fit Your Body Type: Recommendations From Female Hikers